- Austin ophthalmologist Michelle Berger, MD, was elected TMA secretary/treasurer.
- The house reelected Speaker Cliff Moy, MD, and Vice Speaker Susan Strate, MD.
- Drs. Dan McCoy and Linda Villarreal were reelected to the TMA Board of Trustees. Houston emergency medicine specialist Diana Fite, MD, and Fort Worth pediatrician Gary Floyd, MD, were elected new board members. Brad Butler, MD, an anesthesiologist from Longview, is the first to win the young physician seat on the board. The new resident trustee is Maryam Shambayati, DO, of Plano, and the new medical student member is David Savage of The University of Texas Medical School at Houston.
- The trustees chose Don Read, MD, as their chair; Doug Curran, MD, as vice chair; Drs. McCoy and David Henkes as members of the executive committee; and Dr. Fite as secretary.
- New members of the Texas Delegation to the American Medical Association are Drs. Sue Bornstein of Dallas, Cynthia Jumper of Lubbock, Roxanne Tyroch of El Paso, and Alex Valadka of Austin.
Monday, May 5, 2014
TOM GARCIA, MD, IS TMA PRESIDENT-ELECT
The TMA House of Delegates unanimously selected Houston cardiologist Tom Garcia, MD, as president-elect. The TMA Alliance chose Patty Loose of Austin as its next president. Both will take office at TexMed 2015 in Austin. In other election news:
Posted by Steve Levine at 2:22 PM