At age 99, Virginia Connally, MD, has certainly kept her sense of humor. Taking the stage to receive TMA’s 2012 Distinguished Service Award after Abilene ophthalmologist Paul Thames, MD, read a lengthy history of her accomplishments, Dr. Connally said, “If I could hear what he said, I’d be blushing.” The trailblazer was the first female physician in Abilene, practicing as an eye, ear, nose, and throat doctor for 42 years. Among other awards bestowed at TexMed 2012:
- Former TMA President Josie Williams, MD, won the Young Physician Section’s Young at Heart Award;
- Waco family physician Jackson Griggs, MD, received the J. T. “Lamar” McNew, MD, Award from the Resident and Fellow Section;
- The Medical Student Section (MSS) gave its C. Frank Webber, MD, Award to Steve Robinson, MD, a family physician from Lubbock;
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center won the MSS Chapter of the Year Award; and
- MSS Student of the Year was Alexandra Iacob, from The University of Texas Medical School at Houston.